Monday, July 21, 2008

Steampunk ATC

How embarrassing to be late on a swap you're hosting! That's me. Over on Swap-Bot I devised a steampunk ATC swap, and today I got around to finishing the cards.



I'm especially happy with the one on the left, "The Aeronaut". This morning I came across some ephemera I bought from Manto Fev a few months ago; one item was a playing card, probably from the 1950s or 60s, with a model ship on the back. With the neat telescope prop next to the ship, I knew I wanted to use it for one of my steampunk cards. A Google search uncovered Rosebud's WWI and Early Aviation Image Archive, a treasure of great pictures. It's a must-study for those interested in steampunk. That archive led me to this "Public Warning" poster and the ominous "Zeppelin of Death"...inspiration for the second ATC, yay!

I understand there are some ATC artists who look down on computer-generated art. Maybe they think it's too easy. I try to incorporate other elements beside images I print and/or create via graphics programs; these cards give you an idea of how I do that.

No comments: